Mekenzie Anderson Wellness Intern
Now that the fall season is upon us, it’s time to start working on that fall bucket list! Something new you may want to add to your to do list is joining in on walktober. Walktober is a 31-day challenge designed to inspire people to prioritize walking. Walking can provide several health benefits to people of all fitness levels. Not only does it improve blood pressure, cholesterol, and diabetes but it also serves as a great stress reliever. The cooler fall temps makes October a great time to lace up your shoes and get started. Walktober is a national challenge, celebrated all over the country. Below are some suggestions on how you can get involved this month.
- Walk to work. – Ditch the traffic and enjoy a stroll to your workplace. Unable to walk to work? Try for an alternative and get your steps in during your lunch break. Get your co-workers on board and move your meetings outside. Who knows, maybe a walking meeting will spark some new creative ideas. If you live in the city and use public transportation get off a few stops early and walk the remainder of your trip.
- Create a challenge at work. – Encourage employees to participate in the fun by providing an incentive or a prize. Create a fun hashtag for participants to use when posting on social media. This may add some extra motivation.
- Go on a color tour. – Gather some friends and family for a hike at a local park. Schedule it when the leaves are in peak season to enjoy the beautiful scenery.
- Get involved in a community walking events. Check your local running/walking shoe store and ask about upcoming events taking place.
- Track your progress. – There are numerous apps with tracking capabilities but one of the most popular is the Fitbit app. Don’t have a Fitbit device? No problem, the app will use a motion sensor in your smartphone to estimate your steps. Some of the features include time elapsed, average pace, and calories burned. The app also allows you to virtually race and challenge your friends.
There are several different ways to incorporate walking into your everyday life. Challenge yourself this month to get outdoors and be more active. Walktober is the perfect time to start!